Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

Florence Gordon by Brian Morton 306 pages



I really enjoyed reading Florence Gordon by Brian Morton.  The story begins with Florence setting out to write her memoirs, at the age of seventy-five, in New York City where she has lived all her life.  Her daughter-in-law, Janine, and her granddaughter, Emily, have been in NYC for several months.  Her son, Daniel, a Seattle policeman joins his family for a vacation.

Florence is a published essayist and has been a force in the feminist movement for years.  The character of Florence Gordon is outspoken, opinionated and brusque.  I really enjoyed her.  She decides at one point that she needs an assistant and employs Emily to do her research for her.  This interaction gives us a chance to learn more about each of these characters and what limits they will enforce in relationships.

Emily has a needy and troubled boyfriend, named Justin and Janine starts a flirtation with a fellow researcher named Lev.  All the characters are well developed and the writing is excellent.  As I said earlier, I enjoyed this book but I had some problems with the ending.

What did Janine decide?  What about Daniel?  What happened to Justin?  We do learn what becomes of Florence but I still had questions as to the details of her fate.


I would still recommend this book, regardless of the questions I had at the end.  I think it would be a good book club book.

No comments:

Post a Comment