Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Superheroes Don't Eat Veggie Burgers by Gretchen Kelley 266 pages

I was drawn to this book by the title.  Sadly, I was not wowed by the story.  The main character, Charlie Burger, is starting middle school and facing bullies, changing friendships, etc.  His science teacher gives the class a journal in which they are to write what they wish.  This frustrates Charlie initially, as he is a science nut, but he decides to start writing the adventures of Dude Explodius.  The journal entries have an odd way of sometimes entering the real world, but sometimes the results of the entries were completely disconnected to me.  I didn't really think the resolution of the story was entirely satisfying.  That being said, it did speak to some topics that middle graders will recognize.  I would still recommend it to some 4th and 5th grade kids, but ones who are looking for a specific type of read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment