Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis, 313 pages


  Since childhood, I've loved the worlds C.S. Lewis created in The Chronicles of Narnia, so I was happy recently to be pulled into the world he created in this, his last novel. The story is Lewis’ twist on the mythological tale of Cupid and Psyche, told from the viewpoint of Psyche’s oldest sister.
  I went into this read without being particularly familiar with Cupid and Psyche, and, in retrospect, I think that was best. To me, the tale was about Orual, an ugly royal girl, finding her strength in an ancient world where kings, soldiers, and Gods ordain what will be. The relationships and personalities made the book worthwhile for me. The pace moved along quickly, and the book was an easy and enjoyable read as one would hope from such a talented story teller as Lewis.
  The full mythology of Cupid and Psyche didn’t permeate the pages until the last few chapters. I’m going to have to look into the original myth and reread the end of this book to better appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment