Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Not My Father’s Son by Alan Cumming, 304 pages

  I picked up a recording of this book when I wanted to listen to something in the car and didn’t have time to look through selections on the library shelves. I wouldn’t ordinarily choose to read a celebrity autobiography, but I knew I wanted to listen through to the end of this audiobook from the first few moments.
  The author himself read the story he’d written as a way to work through traumatic childhood experiences that lurked about and sometimes assaulted his adult psyche. As a singer, actor, and performer with a lovely Scottish accent, no one could have read this particular text better. I felt as though I were listening to a friend read a long letter he’d written, and I liked being the recipient of his thoughts as he worked through his memories and kept me up-to-date with what and how he was doing in the present.
  This is not a story of fame. It is a story of a real person making his way in the world, bravely sharing his vulnerabilities to strengthen himself and others. Well done, Alan Cumming. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment