Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, 246 pages

The Haunting of Hill House has been on my to-read list forever. As a lover of all things horror, I have read thousands of times that this book is one of the best of the genre, and an absolute must-read. Unfortunately, it fell really flat with me. I know that this book was originally published in the 1950's, but I struggled with the language used in the book. I also thought that a lot of the book was mostly just rambling from the characters, particularly Eleanor. I found myself skipping tons of dialogue because it seemed to be nonsense. There were a few parts that really made my skin crawl, but I overall was unimpressed.

Dr. Montague is in search of evidence of paranormal activity in the Hill House. In attempt to document said evidence, he decides to rent the house and invite a group of strangers to stay with him in the home. Eleanor, Theodora, and Luke (the future heir to Hill House) arrive, and sit around, waiting for the activity to start. What appears to be a scary week or two in a potentially haunted house turns out to be far worse, as Hill House attempts to claim it's next victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment