Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer, 448 pages

Cinder is retelling of Cinderella with a science fiction twist.  I like a good fairy tale so I gave it a shot.  I liked it.

Cinder is a cyborg in a future world that is celebrating 126 years of peace since World War IV.  She doesn't get a fairy god mother, but she does have a nasty guardian, who she refuses to call a step-mother, and two step sisters.  One nice, one not so much.

Cyborgs are humans who have lost limbs and are partly computerized.  They are considered second-class citizens.  Cinder is a gifted mechanic and is the only breadwinner in the family, even though she is only a teenager.

The only problem with this book is that it is part of a series and I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started it.  The story did NOT end with Cinder getting the prince and living happily ever after.  The second book in the series is a twist on Little Red Riding Hood.  Sounds like fun so I will stick with Cinder and put the next book on my to-be-read list.  I believe the author plans 4 books in the series, with 3 out so far and the final book to be published in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment