Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Watsons Go To Birmingham, 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis 210 pages

This is one of my new favorite books.  I listened to it being read by Levar Burton and couldn't get enough of it!  It is told by a young, black boy, Kenny, and is just a slice of life spanning about a year when race relations in this country were tenuous at best.  Levar Burton (of Reading Rainbow and Star Trek Next Generation...oh, and that little film: Roots) captured his voice perfectly.  The characters were charming and completely believable. I spent most of the book just laughing at the things the main character and his brother would say.  When his parents decide to take the kids from their home in Michigan to visit their grandma in Alabama, new adventures are on the horizon.  A near calamity leaves them in not-so-great shape, but I loved the end of the book.  Even though I cried through a lot of the last couple chapters, I thought it was just the most perfect ending I could imagine.  You really need to read or listen to this one if you haven't before...if you have, do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment