Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Wonder by R.J. Palacio, 320 pages

This has probably been my favorite read of the summer. A friend and former teaching colleague recommended it to me and I loved it.

This story is told from multiple perspectives but the main character is Auggie. He is starting beginning fifth grade in his first year at a public school. This may seem strange until you understand that Auggie's face is severely disfigured due to a birth defect. He's had multiple surgeries in his ten years but there isn't much that doctors have been able to do.

This book chronicles Auggie's first year in school. The good and the bad and how it affects both him and those who've loved him since he was born and those who meet him at school.

I'm typically not a huge fan of books with multiple perspectives. I find that following too many characters often makes it difficult to keep up with what's going on. It can also be annoying when you have a character you really like and you have to periodically break away from that character to follow someone you don't care about.

I thought that would be the case in this book because I loved Auggie's voice so much. Therefore, the first time the novel switched perspectives, I couldn't help but grimace. But the great thing about this book is that every character is engaging. As each viewpoint switched, I found myself sad that I was having to leave a character I enjoyed but excited to meet someone new whom I was sure I'd love just as much.

I can't recommend this book enough. It made me cry and laugh and cry some more.

5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment