Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2016

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore 387 pages

When I grow up, I want to become Christopher Moore's proofreader.  That way I get to read all of his books before anyone else gets their eyeprints on them.  I recently picked up Secondhand Souls and realized I needed to go back and read the first in the series, A Dirty Job.  Oh, no!  Ha!  I love Moore's writing, his obvious love of language and skill at painting his scenes with words.  This story follows Charlie Asher, a self-doubting, insecure shop owner, who loses his wife shortly after the birth of their child.  However, he also sees someone in her room just after her death that no one else apparently could see.  Soon, Charlie finds that strange things are happening to him.  He can see objects glowing red.  He finds names in a notebook next to his bed that he has no memory of writing.  As it turns out, Charlie is a new Death Merchant, an agent who collects soul vessels to make sure they move on to the next person who needs them.  The story is silly, funny, heartwarming, heartbreaking... in short, it is Christopher Moore, through and through.  I cannot recommend this book or any of his books highly enough.  He is by far my favorite author.  Now I can't wait to jump into Secondhand Souls and let you know how amazing that one is soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment