Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation by Bill Nye 309 pages

I love books about evolution.  I love Bill Nye.  So, I was a very happy girl when I saw that Bill Nye had written a book about evolution!  I was not disappointed.  It is a real gift to be able to present very heady information in a clear and easy to understand fashion.  I remember semesters of biology and chemistry trying to grasp a concept that Mr. Nye explained in the span of a page and a half and I understood better than I ever had before.  It is important that we continue to push ourselves to understand more about our world and ourselves.  We can make much better plans if we understand patterns, we can make smarter choices when we understand the impact of those decisions.  To close oneself off to evolution completely is irresponsible.  Many people of faith have no more trouble accepting evolution than they have trouble accepting gravity or sound waves.  If the acceptance of evolution makes people afraid of their own mortality, then perhaps we should begin focusing on making the most of the time here on this plane, in this life and less about what may come after.  I don't know.  However, I think that this is an excellent piece of reading for everyone.  Maybe it will change someone's mind, maybe not, but it will be educational one way or another.  There were plenty of chapters that were just really fun science, but evolution was definitely a running theme through the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment