Pages

Friday, February 2, 2018

The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart, 475 pages

  This is the second book in Stewart’s Arthurian series. It picks up right where The Crystal Cave leaves off and continues on with Merlin’s life, now with the addition of Arthur, the boy who will be king, as part of the story line.
  Merlin is in the prime of his life and has become a man who understands himself, his purpose, his powers and how to use them as much he ever will. He accepts that his cousin, Arthur, who has not yet been born when the book begins, will become the king the land’s people need and that his own role will be to protect, train, and guide.
   I love that I got to adventure to other lands with Merlin during the lightest years of his life. I also love that Arthur’s life is without burdens that will come once the weight of a kingdom is transferred to his authority. Arthur goes through childhood as a child, protected, while growing into who he is to be without the knowledge of who he is thanks to Merlin. This portion of the series is magical and exciting and builds to the last page in such a way that you’d better have the next book, TheLast Enchantment, ready to read immediately.
  When I’m extra enthusiastic about a book, my husband sometimes feels compelled to pick it up when I’m not looking and then stay up reading it while I sleep to reach the end before I do. That happened with this series. Luckily, I’d read it all before, so technically I still reached the end before he did. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment