Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Mairzy Doats by Glory Fagan, 206 pages

"Mairzy Doats" is a semi-autobiographical fiction book written by local author and librarian Glory Fagan.  It begins from the perspective of a character who has been dead for 20 years but is still around.  She is reflecting back on her life and a good bit of it was spent in St. Joseph.  I got a little thrill every time a St. Joseph location was mentioned and I knew exactly where it was or is.

This is a really delightful read.  I was a little worried about it, because I had no idea how to pronounce the title.  Don't worry, fair reader.  Even before the story starts we learn the title is from a novelty song written in the 40s and to pronounce it "mares eat oats."  Ahh, that allowed me to sit back and enjoy the story about Dazy who lived life fully and with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment