Pages

Monday, October 22, 2018

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult, 352 Pages

I received an advanced e-copy of A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult via Netgalley. I was very hesitant to read it at first, because I've been told that I wouldn't like Picoult's writing. The plot of this book drew me in, and I decided to give it a try. I was very surprised for two reasons- 1. That I actually enjoyed this book. Was it the best book I've ever read? No. But, I was hooked from the beginning and able to finish it with ease. 2. The plot of this book was an extremely difficult topic, and I was nervous that Picoult would shove whatever belief she has down my throat, via her writing. I was extremely surprised at how well both sides of the argument were written and represented.

Hugh McElroy, a hostage negotiator, gets called to the scene of an active shooting. The shooting is taking place at the Center, a local women's health clinic that specializes in reproductive services. Everyone is aware that the Center comes with tons of controversy, which is represented by the protesters lining the sidewalk daily. McElroy realizes there's much more at stake than he originally thought, when he finds out his daughter Wren, and sister Bex are inside the clinic. Putting aside the questions burning in his mind, (Why is Wren in there? And why didn't he know about it?) he focuses on the important part- getting everyone out safely. The story goes back in time to explain how everyone got there, and how this horrific incident got started.

No comments:

Post a Comment