Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Sycamore Row by John Grisham, 464 pages

John Grisham has written another fun legal thriller.  I stopped reading him for several years because I got tired of the same old story, but I picked him up again a few stories ago with "The Litigators."  Boy, was that one fun!  "The Racketeer" his next one, was just okay in my opinion but I wasn't ready to put him aside again.  I'm glad I didn't.

In "Sycamore Row"  Grisham brings back Jake Brigance, the young lawyer portrayed in "A Time to Kill."  It's 1988, about three years after that trial and Jake is still struggling to put his life back together and make it as one of the many lawyers in the small Mississippi town of Clanton.  No criminal case this time.  In this story a man writes a will the day before he kills himself and names Jake to defend the handwritten will.  The will cuts out his kids and leaves the bulk of his 24 million dollar estate to his black maid.

When I started the book I wondered if the story would keep my attention all the way through . . .um, yeah, no problem there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment