Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller 355 pages

I thought this book looked interesting.  It wasn't until I really looked at the author's name that it dawned on me...yes, it's that Jason Segel!  I absolutely loved the reboot of the Muppets that he was largely responsible for, so I thought what the heck?  The story is about Charlie, a kid who has recently lost his mother and his dad married a woman Charlie is positively convinced is a witch.  Charlie, his dad and his little brother, Jack, move into the giant purple mansion that has haunted Charlie nearly his whole life.  Almost immediately, Charlie is assaulted by nightmares about a witch who is determined to eat him, piece by piece.  She looks oddly like his stepmother, too. The story takes an unexpected turn when Charlie ends up in the Netherworld, the world of nightmares. Nightmares! is co-written by Kirsten Miller (Kiki Strike series).  It was a fun book.  I found myself knowing a lot more than the character apparently could figure out, but that is to be expected.  It never got terribly scary, nor did it get overly emotional, but it was a solid story.  The characters were believable and likable...even the nightmare creatures!  I will definitely recommend this to kids probably 4th grade and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment