Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The Forbidden Library by Django Wexler 384 pages

This book had everything I usually look for in a good fantasy.  Smart characters, interesting twists on magic, and forgive me, but it's all about a library?  Well, sign me up!  I wish it had delivered to its potential.  It had some really interesting and creative stuff going on. The story revolves around a girl whose father dies mere nights after she overhears what appears to be a fairy threatening him.  She is sent off to live with an uncle she never knew she had and finds herself in a houseful of mystery and magic. The coolest touch to the story was that magicians are called Readers and books actually are their source of power.
I listened to this one and I wonder if that was the problem.  I really didn't care for the reader.  She sounded like she was 8 years old, but the book was not told first person and the main character was 12.  Furthermore, I don't think she understands how periods work when found so deliberately at the end of a sentence.  I found myself thinking she'd neglected to finish sentences, or was unsure of their meaning the way her inflection rose.  It was a huge distraction.  So, perhaps the book is better than I'm giving it credit.  I will say that regardless of whether Cassandra Morris has won awards for her reading, I will steer clear of anything else she reads.  I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give them a fair shake either.

No comments:

Post a Comment