Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

Bedlam: A Novel of Love and Madness by Greg Hollingshead, 386 pages


   I hated this novel, not the writing, but rather how characters with mental illness or who were political prisoners were treated by society and the medical profession. I read it thoroughly because of human history I think people today and in coming generations should know and remember.
   This is a novel, but the larger depiction of the 18th Century London insane asylum is, unfortunately, true to what is known of Bedlam. Names of characters and the larger pieces of their stories in the book also existed and are part of Bedlam’s known history.
   I found myself a bit lost in the way the flashbacks were told at first, but some rereading of parts did the trick. Most of the book flowed smoothly enough. The book was definitely worth the time to read, but stay far away from it if you're looking for a feel-good escape from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment