Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel, 203 pages

   I had no idea that a man, just a little older than I am, lived outdoors on a hidden piece of land in Maine for 27 years without human interaction (with the exception of saying “hi,” one time when a hiker unexpectedly passed by him in the woods). But, then again, without this biography, why would I know? He lived off the grid. Not even his family knew . . . until he was arrested in 2013 for stealing food to keep himself alive.
   Journalist Michael Finkel authored this book based on interviews with Christopher Knight, people familiar in various ways with Knight’s case, research on hermits throughout history, and related psychology.
   The book was fascinating and made me ponder a way of life I’d never considered. I wish Christopher Knight well, almost feel guilty for intruding upon his craved solitude by reading his story, and know that I’m not cut out to be a hermit. 
   While I listened to this book on CD, I would have preferred to curl up . . . completely alone . . . with a print version.

No comments:

Post a Comment