Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Horton Halfpott, or, The fiendish mystery of Smugwick Manor, or, The loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's corset by Tom Angleberger 206 pgs

I picked this book up because I needed something to read one day on my lunch break.  I figured I could read the first few chapters in order to able to tell kids what it was about and "sell" it more effectively.  I admit that I got dragged in by its goofiness and held by its colorful writing.  If you like silly, British authors, you would likely enjoy this.  It is for a young audience, I would guess anywhere from 3rd to 5th, but it was still an enjoyable read.  It reminded me a bit of reading Roald Dahl.  Young Horton is a kitchen boy for the stingy, brutish Luggertucks.  When M'Lady decides one day to loosen her corset, the entire household feels it, setting into motion a chain of events that result in a famous detective being called in to solve multiple thefts.  It was, as I said, very silly, but highly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment