Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

This Is Between Us by Kevin Sampsell 240 pages



Overall, I liked this book but I read some reviews after I had finished it and was surprised to see that so many previous readers thought this was “a love story”.  The book is separated into five chapters which follow the five years in a couple’s relationship.  The book is told by an “I” character who describes his actions and his point of view.  He refers to a “you” character as he chronicles his lover’s movements and her reactions to his behaviors.

The lovers each have a child from previous relationships.  They move in together, then move the two children in with them, then they split up and live apart, all the while trying to figure out the boundaries of their relationship.

What confused me about calling this a love story is that both the man and woman see other people, cheat on each other, deceive each other, and question their commitment to each other, throughout the story.  I guess that is “love” if it is defined as a work in progress, however, it seems to me that all that would take place before a couple described themselves as being in love.


The writing is great, however, and while the time line skips around somewhat, it is not enough to lose the reader.  I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment