Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Boy Detective by Roger Rosenblatt 257 pages



Roger Rosenblatt wrote Making Toast, one of the best books about grief I have ever read.  Since then I have tried to read other things he has written, and have been disappointed every time.  This book was also a disappointment to me.

I enjoyed the descriptive parts about New York City and the references to fictional and real characters who lived in different parts of the city.  However, there was a lot of drifting and exploring of tangents that I did not enjoy or understand, or see that they connected to any theme. 


The jacket blurb says this “treads the line between a novel and a poem”, but I think he should have tried one or the other, and not both.  On the other hand, maybe the fault was with the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment