Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd 359 pages




I almost did not read this book.  It is set in South Carolina in the early 1800s and deals with slavery, a tough subject, to say the least.  However, I kept to it and am so very glad I did.

This story is of girl named Sarah who is given ownership of a slave named Hetty/Handful, when she turns eleven years old.  The story is not only of their relationship over the years but of Sarah’s dislike of the institution of slavery.  The scope of the story is wide, there are twists and turns as the characters grow and mature.  It is difficult to put this book down once you start reading it.

Sarah has dreams, even at a young age, of getting an education like her brothers and becoming a lawyer.  She soon finds that she will not be following that path and says, “My aspiration to become a jurist had been laid to rest in the Graveyard of Failed Hopes, an all-female establishment.”  As you can see, there is some humor, despite some of the gruesome stories told in the book.

(A lot of us, including myself, know very little about the daily life of a slave at that time in our history.  I did not know, for instance, that each family member had a slave appointed or “given” to him/her and that that slave would sleep on a quilt on the bare floor outside the owner’s door all night long.  At any time of the night, that slave was to do the owner’s bidding.  There are many such descriptions of the life of the slave and the owner that add to the depth of this book.)

I was overwhelmed when I finished this book.  I recommend it highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment