Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Clever Girl by Tessa Hadley 252 pages



I am not sure what to say about this book.  The story is about Stella, and starts with a long section about her childhood, living with her mother in a small apartment in England.  Stella’s mother tells her that her father is dead but there are hints that this might not be true.  Eventually Stella’s mother remarries and they move to a new home.

By the time this very involved part of the story is told, I was almost ready to put the book down.  However, I continued to the very end.

While the characters are interesting and the writing is good, I felt that there were several important issues that were unexplained or under developed.  In addition, we are made to think Stella is an individual and a different thinking and acting person than her mother.  In the end, however, she makes the same choices her mother did, so all that free spirit and choosing a different path stuff rang a false note.


I will put this on the “staff recommends” table, because it is an interesting book, but this is a book I will probably not go out of my way to promote.

No comments:

Post a Comment