Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Greene 277 pages



The first part of this book, “Acrimony”, is told by Arthur, the headmaster of a boarding school.  “Expectations” is told from the point of view of his wife, Elizabeth.  The final third, “After”, is quite short and is told by another character in the book, Russell.

Once I started this book I could not put it down.  The setting of a small boarding school is intricately described and, while the story seems simple, it is very complex and contains ambiguous (to me) outcomes.

Arthur and Elizabeth have a son, Ethan, who makes choices diametrically opposed to those his father wishes for him.  Russell plays an important part in the lives of this family. It is difficult to say much about this book without giving the whole story away.


I would highly recommend this book and I think it would be an excellent book club book.

No comments:

Post a Comment