Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Seven Wonders: The Colossus Rises by Peter Lerangis 348 pgs.

I picked this audiobook up because it was coming back with good reviews from my kids here at the library.  It is a fantasy series that draws upon a new idea.  Where Rick Riordan plays on Greek and Egyptian mythology creeping into modern day life, Lerangis opted to go with Atlantian lore.  Honestly, I can't say I was really taken with this story.  I fear it might have been because of the reader, Johnathan McClain, who too often made characters' voices sound ridiculous and cartoonish.  That's great for picture books, but very distracting in a book like this one.  There was a heck of a lot of Deus ex machina and that got on my nerves.  Again, was it the reader?  It's difficult to say.  The story was not gripping, but the idea was interesting.  It ended with a distinct cliffhanger, but I don't care to continue it.  I think this is one that kids may find way more compelling than adults do, so I will still pitch it to kids who like Harry Potter and The Lightning Thief series.

No comments:

Post a Comment