Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty 369 pages

Louise’s nine year old daughter is killed by a hit and run driver and when he’s let off with a small fine and points on his license, Louise decides to hunt him down and exact revenge. She will take away what he loves most. At the time of the accident Louise was separated from her husband David who had abandoned his family for another woman.

Most of Whatever You Love focuses on Louise’s relationship with David—how they met, where it all went wrong and the other woman. We are fully three quarters of the way through before we get to the hit and run driver where the author devotes a small and unsatisfying portion to his story and then we are back to David who is apparently the love of her life.


I read this book because I was absolutely hooked by Apple Tree Road. Had I read this book first I might have had a different reaction. But as it was I felt let down. Even so I would still recommend this book. There is no denying that this author has serious skills as a writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment