Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, 324 pages

I decided to read this book after seeing a movie preview for "Ender's Game" a few months ago.  I like a good science fiction book and movie, but if I'm going to see a movie I like to have read the book to get the full story.
I had a preconceived notion of what this book was going to be, all because of the 30 second movie preview with Harrison Ford.  I was wrong.  Yes, there is an alien war but the focus of the book is the character of Andrew "Ender" Wiggin and his training to prepare as a soldier for an upcoming war with an alien race called Buggers.
At the beginning of the book, Ender is a gifted 6 year old who is being evaluated to be sent to Battle School.  He is a Third, meaning a third child in a society where it is only legal to have two children.  His parents were asked by the government to have a third child, as the first two children were evaluated and rejected by the Battle School.  As a Third though, Ender and his entire family are slightly ostracized by society.
Ender passes the evaluation and heads to Battle School.  Yes, as a 6 year old and when he's 10, he heads to Command School.  He is obviously a special kid.
The book also tells the story of the Peter and Valentine Wiggin, Ender's siblings.  I don't necessarily enjoy war stories, (okay unless it's related to World War II), but I really enjoyed this book.  The story was much more than I thought it would be.  Now I gotta see the movie because no way will they be able to get all this in a two hour movie.  And bonus, this is the first of a series, there are more books to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment