Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I Can't Complain, (All Too) Personal Essays 161 pages



Ah!  Elinor Lipman!  This is one of my favorite authors, one I am constantly checking for new releases, one who has only let me down a little, one time.  I have forgiven her for that.

These are delightful essays, some a little sad and some a little too much about the life of an author on promotional tours and giving readings, but all well written.  In one essay about her writing she admits that her stories are not “outlined” ahead of time and that the characters show her the way as she writes.  I found this amazing and surprising, as I am always impressed with the character development in her books, and I thought novelists (for the most part) knew from beginning to end what the plot would be before putting pen to page.

Lipman also writes about growing up with her sister, her mother and father in a warm family circle.  She writes about her husband and their only child, a son.

When I read one of Elinor Libman’s novel I pace myself. I try not to rush, and I savor every nuance and all the charm of her humor.  This collection did not disappoint in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment