Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Critical Mass by Sara Paretsky, 480 pages

Critical Mass is the 16th V.I. Warshawski book by Sara Paretsky. One of the great thing about this series is it's not necessary to know the back story from the previous books to enjoy the current one.

Victoria Warshawski, otherwise known as V.I. or Vic, is a successful private investigator in Chicago. She's tough, she's smart and she doggedly pursues the bad guys. This story involves a missing man who is a computer wizard and grandson of an old acquaintance of V.I's dear friend Lottie. Lottie and the grandmother, Kitty, were Jewish children who escaped Austria during World War II. The story involves the current missing man and goes back to World War II and the competition to develop the first atomic bomb. It's all intertwined. 

Sara Paretsky is a great storyteller. I read this book between Thanksgiving and after-Christmas and had to frequently put it down to deal with, you know - life. I begrudgingly put it down each time and eagerly picked it back up. The story shouldn't be read like that, but you do what you gotta do. I love that these books provide advanced vocabulary lessons too. I always learn a new word or two . . . or three from Paretsky's books. She writes intelligent, well-written fiction. I couldn't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment