Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Swimming Home by Deborah Levy 157 pages




One of the reviews I read of this book called it “unsettling” and I totally agree with that assessment.  The story is set at a vacation villa where Mitchell and Laura are vacationing with Joe/Jozef and Isabel and their daughter, Nina.  One day a young girl, Kitty Finch, is discovered floating in the pool, which is described as more of a pond than a pool.  Isabel invites Kitty to stay in one of the extra bedrooms, later commenting “who needs five bathrooms?” to a curious neighbor.

Tensions rise between the couples and between the two families.  Nina and Kitty spend time together, but it cannot be said that a true friendship forms.  Kitty has written a poem which she wants Joe, who is a published poet, to read and comment upon for her.  It is also pretty apparent early on that Kitty is interested in a relationship with Joe.


It is not a long book and keeps your attention by switching points of view between the five main characters.  The ending is sad but somewhat predictable.  This was another of the “odd” books I really like, but I am not sure I could explain why I thought it was so good, if I were asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment