Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves 328 pages

I can't remember the last time I finished a book in a day.  Especially not a romance.  I can tell you that I would never have picked up this book on my own.  The blazing red & white heart genre sticker would have made me turn my nose up in a heartbeat.  Add in the whole stranded on a desert island, surrounded by shark infested waters and I was groaning just at the description.  But at the urging of my best friend, whose opinion I greatly respect, I decided to give this book a shot.  She was right, I wasn't disappointed.

Anna Emerson is a 30 year old teacher in a relationship that's going nowhere.  She needs some space to decide what she really wants to do after spending 8 years with a man who clearly does not want to get married and have children.  So when presented with the opportunity to spend the summer on a tropical island tutoring 16 year old T.J. Callahan, she jumps at the chance.

T.J.'s cancer is in remission now, but he missed most of the school year due to treatments.  His parents want him to spend the summer being tutored so he can go on to 11th grade in the fall.

Anna and T.J. take a private plane to the Callahan's summer house a few days after school is out.  Things start out rocky with mechanical problems and weather issues.  Then they discover they don't have a reservation on a connecting flight.  They end up being put on a charter flight and that's where things really go wrong.  The pilot has a heart attack and dies while trying to land the plane on the water.

Thanks to T.J., he and Anna make it to an island.  They have no idea where they are, and no idea if anyone is searching for them.  They spenf three and a half years on the island.  They learn to build a fire, find food, make shelter and survive.  They also fall in love.  When a tsunami hits the Maldives, Anna & T.J. are finally rescued and thrust back into their normal lives.  It's not easy adjusting and of course, not everyone understands their relationship.  Thankfully the story doesn't end there.

I'm not sure I've convinced anyone to give this book a shot.  Like I said, it's not usually my cup of tea, but for a snowy New Year's Day, it was a great read.  There was just enough adventure to keep me interested, but realistic enough to keep me from rolling my eyes and slamming it shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment