Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch 278 pages

This was the last book on the Truman award list that I had to read this year, and I'm a little disappointed that I saved it for last.  I don't know if I'm really giving it a fair shake, as I am just done to death with the dystopic future books that spawned by the hundreds after the success of The Hunger Games.  This is a story about a teenage boy who has lost everyone except his father to Plague Number Eleven and the world that is its aftermath.  After an attempt to do the right thing, he and his father have to flee from some dangerous men, his father becomes critically injured in the process and Steven (the main character) is left in a pretty awful predicament.  Enter some unknown men who take Steven and his father back to their town where Steven a) doesn't feel is right, since he has only lived on the "path", scavenging for whatever might be worth trade and b) he is suspected of being a spy for another community nearby.  Cue up the love interest and show me the way to the nearest exit, please.  Again, I fear that my attitude toward this is just because of the over-saturation of the genre, but it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment