Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman 192 Pages

His first adult novel in some time, Neil Gaiman paints a vivid fairy tale of a young boy and his discovery of a neighbor girl and her mysterious family.  In some parts this story was very disturbing, but in other parts it was very true to what childhood is.  Mythological and supernatural elements throughout makes the story of a young boys attempt to undo what has been unleased on the world a potential page turner.  With the help of his friend, Letty Hemstock and Letty's mother and grandmother, the evil is overcome, but at what cost?  Learning that nothing can undo true friendship and love is what the reader will leave with.  Personally, I only so-so enjoyed this book.  Sure, I got the meaning.  I also know that Neil Gaiman can write some really weird stuff.  Sometimes, though, it's too weird.  I found myself quickly turning the page to find out what happened next, but at the same time knowing it would be more weirdness and something out of left-field.  There were times I was genuinely confused.  I'm easily confused, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment