Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Will at the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 by Laurie Calkhoven 230 pages

I will be honest, I was hesitant to read this one.  My goal (and I only have 2 1/2 to go!) was to read all the nominees for the Mark Twain and Truman awards.  So, I jumped in on this one, even though it is not a genre I like much.  I was surprised to find I really, really liked it!  It was a very interesting perspective (that of a kid) of a war that had to have been very difficult for everyone.  Not that war is ever easy, but the enemy spoke the same language, looked the same, may even have been a relative.  I think that adds a new level to the war.  Anyway, this was absolutely riveting.  I wouldn't say that it sugar-coated it, but it wasn't overly graphic, so it is still appropriate for a young audience.  Will is a young boy who dreams of fighting in the Civil War, until the war comes to his front door.  The reality of watching his hometown become the theater for a major battle, makes him think about war in a very different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment